Little Kian Musgrove flew back out to New York at the weekend as US medics desperately try to find a way of saving the four-year-old.
A family has been left with fresh heartache after a sick four-year-old boy’s body rejected life-saving cancer-killing treatment in America.
The news has come as a massive blow after Kian and mum Kat Driscoll only returned from America days ago.
The money for the family’s travel came from music mogul Cowell, who was moved by Kian’s fight against killer childhood cancer, neuroblastoma, Chronicle Live reports.
With the help of people from across the North East and beyond, hundreds of thousand of pounds was raised to send the youngster across the Atlantic
Kian managed to get discharged from the Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre on Sunday, before enjoying visiting Central Park for some much needed playtime.
Medics at Centre are hoping to prevent the neuroblastoma – which has an 80% chance of returning – threatening Kian’s life for a third time.
Kat, 28, said: “After we landed back in Newcastle, I was waiting for some test results to come through on email. When I didn’t hear anything, I rang America and they told me the news.
“I couldn’t believe it. My head is just in bits.”
The results show that Kian’s immune system is rejecting some of the medication he is being given as part of US medics’ efforts to kill off the cancer which has attacked his little body, almost claiming his life twice.
Kian suffers from neuroblastoma – a rare and aggressive form of childhood cancer which has an 80% chance of returning.
People from across the North East, UK and rest of the world have helped raise more than £600,000 towards the pioneering treatment which Kian is now undergoing in New York.
But the latest blow to the Newbiggin Hall youngster means more money – and more treatment – is going to be needed if his life is going to be saved.
“I really don’t know what’s going to happen,” added Kat. “His body is fighting off the treatment.
“They are going to need to give him a scan and three different types of chemotherapy which means more money.”
The family flew back out to New York on Sunday and Kian will begin further treatment on Monday.
Kian started undergoing the treatment, at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, last month.
The family have been able to afford the pioneering medication thanks to the generosity of fundraisers, including music mogul Simon Cowell, who is paying for all travel and accommodation expenses.
Kat, who also has a daughter – six-year-old Katie – is now praying that the American doctors can find a solution.
Kian was first diagnosed with stage four neuroblastoma in October 2013.
The illness attacked his nerve cells around the kidneys on an adrenal gland where a tumour had developed. It then travelled around his body and spread to his bones and across his pelvis.
After treatment to kill off the disease, the cancer returned last December.
Kat added: “I’ve had no sleep the past few days just through worry.”